Talk about a time when you had to write a poem, whether it was for an assignment, event, or special occasion. What was the writing process like for you, and were you proud of the finished product?
Answer:
In 7th grade, I had to make a poem book. The hardest poem for me to write was a limerick, a five-line poem where the first, second, and fifth lines rhyme with each other and are all eight syllables, and the third and fourth lines rhyme with each other and are six syllables. It was also supposed to be a silly, absurd type of poem, and I couldn’t think of what to make it about. I finally decided on a limerick about a sneeze, because I could make it very exaggerative saying it “blew roofs off cars” and “blew all the way to mars.” In the end, I liked the finished product because it was just as silly as I’d hoped.
Summary:
Today we read and analyzed the poem, “Constantly Risking Absurdity” by Lawrence Ferlinghetti.
Reflection:
I learned the steps to reading and understanding a poem. I not only have to read it once, but twice: one time to get a feel for it, and one time to find the deeper meaning and connect it to my own experiences.
Comments
Post a Comment